Friday, December 21, 2012

The gift of friendship

Another day with Natalie bug and another day of looking at my child and wondering when she will get to wake up.  You must understand that this kid doesn't sleep, so the whole concept is a bit foreign to us.  Natalie usually takes about 3- 25 minute naps in a day and then hits the hay at about 7:30. We've been told that she naps up to two hours when she someone else watches her, but Brad and I don't ever get that lucky!  So for us to see her sleeping for the past four days has been very tough.  We want to  see those big blue eyes again. We are not sure when they will try to wake her up again. We hope that when she does get to wake up, all this extra time sleeping will help to speed up her recovery.  We can't wait to see her smile again.  We will continue to sleep at the Yawkey until she is awake so that we are well rested and able to help her when she needs us.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Natalie waking me up in the middle of the night to nurse. This pumping thing sure gets old and is so much less rewarding.  They have started trickling in some breast milk for Natalie now, so that is very nice to see. At least she is getting something in her belly beside just the nutrition drip. I used to wake up a few times in the night to feed Natalie and watch out her window to see the night sky and keep up with the college kids partying down the street. I miss holding her and snuggling her before putting her back in her crib and kissing her goodnight.  I then trip over the dog and get the cat out of my spot in the bed and get back to sleep. Soon, soon I hope.

This trip to Boston has left both Brad and I feeling very humble and aware of God's presence in our lives everyday.  Each day something new makes us say, "God is so good!" I have watched how God has shaped my life over the past few years and I connect all the dots and say to myself, "now I understand!"  As we continue on this journey we are blessed with the kindness of those who care for our child and those who we have met here in Boston. We have met families that have come from China and Ireland to have their children cared for at Children's and we are blessed to be here.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us throughout this journey.  Family, friends and new friends that we have made during our trip have humbled us with their grace and kindness.  We had a wonderful dinner tonight thanks to the girls back home and we were welcomed home after a long day by a gift from the Lockwoods.  We can't begin to express the gratitude that we feel. God has put some pretty amazing people in our lives and we are so fortunate to call you all friends. :) 

So good night for now and we hope to have some good news to report in the morning.  I am off to do chores now.

We love you all!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you both as well for who you are! We were blessed to have met you while at the Yawkey. We all support and lean on each other. It was invaluable to Tyler to be able to talk sports with someone after his surgery. He continues to struggle with pain, but battles through, trying to live normally during his recovery. We are praying for your beautiful daughter and know she will be just fine. There is no better care than in Boston! Merry Christmas from Bob and Tyler in Columbus!

    ReplyDelete